Follow this checklist as part of your night time routine to reduce the chances of fire happening in your home and help protect your escape route if there is a fire.
- Switch off and unplug all electrical appliances not designed to be left on overnight.
- Stub out all cigarettes and always empty ashtrays. Pour water over cigarette ends before putting them in the bin outside.
- Put fireguards around open fires. Don’t build up the fire before you go to bed.
- Switch off portable heaters.
- Close all doors – it can keep your escape route free from smoke and may stop a fire spreading.
- Make sure the main door keys are to hand.
Reduce the risk of fire within the home during social isolation
Firefighters are urging those working from home to use laptops and devices on hard surfaces and unplug items before bed.
People are also being encouraged to not leave cooking unattended, test their smoke alarms regularly and to avoid alcohol when preparing meals.