Overview of the SFRS selection centre.
The Selection Centre will consist of two parts, which are:
- an engagement session
- formal interview and presentation
These are currently held virtually. You will be assessed against our values and key firefighter role competencies.
At this stage, our goal is to match the candidate's skills, abilities, and knowledge with the job requirements. These are outlined in the firefighter role map mentioned in the job description.
If you are invited to a selection centre stage, we advise you to become familiar with our values and the firefighter job description.
We recommend you review your application ahead of attendance. Have a think about:
- How do you meet the key competencies for the role?
- How can you demonstrate this with specific examples?
When thinking about specific examples, try to think about situations you have encountered in your day-to-day life. For example, you may be a member at work, college, home life, hobbies, clubs, or organisations.
It is important that you choose an example that is clear in your memory. This means that you will be able to confidently talk your interviewers through what you did and why.
Ensure that your responses are well-structured, clear and concise. You may find it useful to consider the STAR technique to help structure your answer:
- Situation – outline the context and background of the situation.
- Task – explain what you were tasked with.
- Action – explain your role, detailing actions taken and why.
- Result – outline the outcome and any lessons learnt.