Fishing is a water-based hobby that brings risks. Water Safety Scotland has guidance to keep anglers safe. Check their angling safety code
Fishing is a favourite, all-year-round activity in Scotland. While it’s great for relaxing and enjoying the outdoors, it’s a water-based hobby that brings risks.
Here’s some key advice from the code:
- Check the forecast and weather conditions before you go.
- Let someone know where you are going and when you expect to return.
- Make sure you know exactly where you are - consider something like an OS locate app for mobiles or a map.
- Take a fully-charged mobile phone and check signal strength. Know who to call in an emergency.
- Never fish during an electrical storm.
- Double check your fishing spot is safe. For example, riverbanks can erode overnight.
- Wear the right clothes, sturdy footwear, sun hat in hot weather, warm layers in cold.
- Be aware that coastal and sea fishing is high risk.
- Make sure you know your spot is safe and you won’t get cut off by the tide.
- Wear a life jacket.