A dedicated group of North of Scotland firefighters have been recognised for protecting communities – for a combined 1,240 years.
The 51 personnel were presented with Long Service Good Conduct medals and certificates during a ceremony at Inverness Community Fire Station on Friday, September 7.
This included six firefighters who have each served their communities for more than 40 years – almost 240 years, a quarter of a millennium, between them.
Scottish Fire and Rescue Service Chief Officer Alasdair Hay presented the recipients with their medals as friends and family looked on with pride.
Officer’s Commendations, were presented to firefighters Angus Flett from Helmsdale and Allan MacLeod from Staffin.
Following the ceremony, Chief Officer Hay said: “These presentations provide us with a real opportunity to recognise the vital contribution of some of our longest-serving staff, whether they are frontline or support.
“I am therefore not only pleased but honoured to be able to personally present these medals, commendations and certificates here in Inverness this evening.
“These firefighters have dedicated their lives, and in many cases sacrificed personal family time, to help protect their friends, neighbours and communities and I would like to take this opportunity to thank them.
“I would also like to acknowledge their families and friends here this evening for they could not perform their unique role without your support - you are also part of our fire service family.”
The full list of recipients is below:
Long Service and Good Conduct Medals
- Watch Manager Martyn Cooper, Highland
- Watch Manager Colin Stewart, Newtonmore
- Crew Manager Gordon MacKenzie, Inverness
- Crew Manager Martin Benson, Broadford
- Crew Manager Callum MacKenzie, Kyle of Lochalsh
- Crew Manager Arjan Hendriks, Torridon
- Firefighter Robert MacPherson, Kingussie
- Firefighter Alan Hardie, Fortrose
- Firefighter Allan Fraser, Ullapool
- Firefighter Steven Allan, Wick
- Firefighter Julian Jennings, Carrbridge
- Firefighter Craig MacLennan, Dornoch
- Firefighter David Barron, Nairn
- Firefighter Alister McIvor, Thurso
- Firefighter Calum Kenley, Inverness
30 Years Certificate
- Watch Manager Donald MacLean, Kyle of Lochalsh
- Watch Manager Stuart Edwa, Achiltibuie
- Watch Manager Eric Gunn, Thurso
- Watch Manager Ian Nicolson, Portree
- Watch Manager James Irving, Dornoch
- Watch Manager Ian MacInnes, Broadford
- Watch Manager Steven Gordon, Helmsdale
- Watch Manager Christopher Findlay, Fort William
- Watch Manager Alistair MacKinnon, Fort Augustus
- Crew Manager Donald MacKenzie, Applecross
- Crew Manager Hugo Ross, Wick
- Crew Manager Colin Gunn, Wick
- Crew Manager Michael Henderson, Kyle of Lochalsh
- Crew Manager Allan Smith, Thurso
- Crew Manager Lindsay Gordon, Helmsdale
- Crew Manager Michael Sinclair, Dingwall
- Crew Manager Alexander Sutherland, Golspie
- Firefighter Mervyn Hill, Wick
- Firefighter Neil Nicolson, Staffin
- Firefighter Simon Stewart, Kinlochewe
- Firefighter Hugh MacLachlan, Kilchoan
- Firefighter Robert Watt, Dingwall
- Firefighter James Paterson, Fort Augustus
- Firefighter Michael MacLean, Gairloch
- Firefighter Robert Wilson, Grantown
40 Years Certificate
- Watch Manager Huisdean MacKay, Ullapool
- Watch Manager Donald MacBeath, Applecross
- Watch Manager John Gunn, Wick
- Crew Manager William Paterson, Balintore
- Crew Manager Richard MacKay, Wick
- Firefighter John MacArthur, Fortrose
- Firefighter Angus Flett, Helmsdale
- Firefighter Allan MacLeod, Staffin
- Watch Manager Malcolm Hannah, Beauly
- Crew Manager Alasdair MacLeod, Achiltibuie
- Firefighter Colin McAndrew, Fort William