SFRS successfully tackled recyling centre fire in Inverness last night

Publish Date:

The quick actions of the Inverness crews prevented the fire spreading

Inverness Recycling Centre Fire SFRS Photo

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service was called to attend a fire at Inverness Recycling Transfer Centre in the city’s Henderson Drive at around 6pm last night (26 May 2015).

Control received a call reporting a fire involving refuse inside the building and an appliance from Inverness attended within four minutes. The water carrier from Inverness was sent to the scene.

Firefighters in breathing apparatus used two main jets to tackle the fire and also set up a ground monitor (ground fixed hose).

Upon arrival and assessment of the fire, Incident Commander Deryck Mackay requested a second appliance from Inverness.

SFRS liaised closely with Police Scotland and were able to get messages out to local businesses and nearby residents, informing them to remain indoors with windows and doors closed as a precaution.

Station Manager Mackay said: "This was a very challenging and arduous job for the crews involved for a number of reasons.

"The plume of smoke was very thick and due to the fire the large roller doors on the building had been affected and it was proving difficult to access the premises to attack the fire. However, after a short period of time we were able to open the doors and properly ventilate the building, thus giving us direct access to the fire.

"We then worked closely with site operators and using a mechanical digger we were able to spread the fire load in order to extinguish it and dampen it down.

"The quick actions of the crews in gaining access to the fire prevented it spreading, in what were difficult conditions with thick smoke and near zero visibility. There were over 150 tonnes of refuse within the building but only several tonnes on fire, so the crews did an excellent job to stop it spreading."

The stop message was received by control at 10pm last night and after a period of damping down the scene was handed back to the site owners.