Firefighters prevent fire spread following Macduff hotel fire

Publish Date:

Eleven pumps and additional support vehicles dealt with the fire at its height which was reported in the early hours of Sunday morning

Highland Haven Hotel Fire - John Clark - Twitter

Picture from John Clark via Twitter

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service dealt with a major fire at a derelict Aberdeenshire hotel at the weekend.

Crews were called to attend the Highland Haven Hotel in Shore Street, Macduff at around 12.30am on Sunday 19 October 2014.

The fire was well alight when crews arrived. There were 11 appliances and a variety of other support vehicles at the scene. Approximately 70 firefighters were involved in the incident.

Appliances from Macduff, Banff, Portsoy, Aberchirder, Altens, Cullen, Central, Turriff, Peterhead, Buckie, Keith and Fraserburgh were involved as well as Incident Support Vehicles from Peterhead, Dyce and Altens, the aerial platform from Central in Aberdeen, the water carrier from Turriff and the Welfare Unit.

Firefighters in breathing apparatus used seven main jets and four hose reel jets to tackle the fire, which they managed to bring under control by 4.47am and prevented it from spreading to other buildings.

They also used thermal imaging cameras, a PPV (positive pressure ventilation) fan, lighting and a short extension ladder during the incident.

The last appliance didn't leave the scene until 4.37pm yesterday. A joint investigation between fire and police will take place to establish the cause of the fire.

Group Manager Fraser Burr, said: "Crews worked extremely hard in difficult conditions to contain the fire to one part of the building and prevent it spreading to the neighbouring Town Hall and flats.

"The hotel has been disused for a considerable period of time and internally it has fallen into disrepair which adds additional hazards to firefighters entering the building."

He added: "We are involved in a joint investigation with Police Scotland to establish the cause of the fire."